Croatia’s National Recovery and Resilience Plan: Latest state of play

Author (Person)
Author (Corporate)
Series Title
Series Details PE 733.580
Publication Date January 2023
Content Type


Croatia's National Recovery and Resilience Plan (NRRP) is an ambitious outline of reforms and investment designed to mitigate the pandemic's socio-economic fallout. Compared with the size of its economy, Croatia is the largest recipient of Recovery and Resilience Facility (RRF) funds, with a total financial allocation of €6 295 million, or 11.6 % of the country's gross domestic product (GDP). The allocation corresponds to 0.9 % of the total RRF volume, and is entirely grant-based. In June 2022, the grant allocation was revised downwards to €5 512 million (-12.5 %). The use of the loan component under the facility is currently not envisaged, but may be requested by 31 August 2023 at the latest.

The measures in the plan aim to help Croatia overcome the socio-economic ramifications of both the pandemic and the two devastating earthquakes from 2020, while fostering the green and digital transition. The post-earthquake recovery measures, in particular, are among the NRRP's major objectives, and contribute to smart, sustainable and inclusive growth. Croatia has so far received 35.2 % of the resources in the form of pre-financing and the first two grant instalments, above the current EU average which stands at roughly 28 %. Implementation of the plan must be concluded by 2026. RRF funds, combined with others from the Next Generation EU instrument and the EU's multiannual financial frameworks (2014-2020 and 2021-2027), will put at Croatia's disposal roughly €30 000 million by the end of the decade, an unprecedented chance to boost socio-economic development. The European Parliament continues to ensure transparency and accountability through interinstitutional dialogues on RRF implementation, and scrutiny of the Commission's work. Second edition. The 'NGEU delivery' briefings are updated at key stages throughout the lifecycle of the plans.

Source Link
Alternative sources
Subject Categories
Countries / Regions
International Organisations