|Author (Person)||Sabbati, Giulio|
|Publisher||European Parliament: European Parliamentary Research Service (EPRS)|
|Series Title||EPRS Briefings|
|Series Details||PE 640.146|
|Publication Date||October 2019|
|Content Type||Research Paper|
This Briefing, published by the European Parliamentary Research Service, is designed to provide key facts and figures about the European Parliament, both in the 2019 to 2024 parliamentary term now starting - and in the eight previous terms since direct elections were introduced in June 1979.
It includes graphics of various kinds which:
• detail the composition of the European Parliament now and in the past;
• trace the increase in the number of parties represented in the EP and evolution of political groups;
• chart the rise in the number of women sitting in the Parliament;
• explain the electoral systems used in the 2019 elections to the Parliament across the Member States;
• show how turnout in European elections compares with that in national elections;
• summarise the activity of the Parliament in the current and previous five-year terms;
• outline the composition of the Parliament’s committees and governing bodies. The Briefing will be updated regularly over the coming term to take account of latest developments.
|Subject Tags||European Parliament|