A key textbook for undergraduate and postgraduate students of contemporary European politics, European Union: Power and policy-making 4th edition offers a comprehensive and accessible analysis of the European Union policy process.
Intended to advance understanding of the EU as a now mature and ongoing policy system, this book addresses the central issues relating to the distribution of power and influence in the European Union including:
- Theoretical perspectives.
- The roles of key institutions in the processing of policy problems.
- Different channels of representation.
- The EU as a policy-making state.
Written by a distinguished group of international scholars, this new edition will also appeal to the worldwide community of researchers on the EU.
Jeremy Richardson is joined by a co-editor, Professor Sonia Mazey, for the fourth expanded edition of this highly regarded textbook on the EU.
PART 1. STATE BUILDING, DIFFERENTIATED INTEGRATION AND A MULTISPEED EUROPE
1. The EU as a policy-making state: a policy system like any other? - Jeremy Richardson
2. The EU as a system of differentiated integration: a challenge for theories of European integration? - Frank Schimmelfennig & Berthold Rittberger
3. The politics of multispeed integration in the European Union - Christian B. Jensen & Jonathan B. Slapin
PART 2. INSTITUTIONAL PROCESSING
4. The European Commission - Arndt Wonka
5. The EU’s multilevel parliamentary system - Berthold Rittberger & Thomas Winzen
6. The Councils of the EU: intergovernmental bargaining in a supranational polity - Daniel Naurin
7. The shadow of case law: the Court of Justice of the European Union and the policy process - Susanne K. Schmidt
8. The distribution of power among institutions - Robert Thomson
9. The EU budget: which fiscal capacity at the European level? - Henrik Enderlein, Ole Funke & Johannes Lindner
10. EU agencies - Berthold Rittberger & Arndt Wonka
PART 3. VARIEGATED POLICY-MAKING
11. EU enlargement - Frank Schimmelfennig
12. The EU as an international actor - Michael Smith
13. European regulation - Mark Thatcher
14. European macroeconomic governance - Erik Jones & Gregory W. Fuller
15. Covert integration in the European Union - Adrienne Héritier
16. Implementation - Christoph Knill
PART 4. CHANNELS OF REPRESENTATION
17. European elections and the European voter - Mark Franklin & Sara B. Hobolt
18. Shooting where the ducks are: EU lobbying and institutionalized promiscuity - Sonia Mazey & Jeremy Richardson
19. Bypassing the nation-state? Regions and the EU policy process - Michael Keating, Liesbet Hooghe & Michael Tatham
20. Political representation and democracy in the European Union - Sandra Kröger