- Frits Bolkestein: Single Market Commissioner responsible for post. His experiences of a relatively open post market in the Netherlands have made him a strong proponent of liberalisation.
- Rik Daems: Belgian telecoms minister, trying to broker a compromise during his country's six months in charge of the rotating EU presidency.
- Markus Ferber: German Christian Democrat MEP, rapporteur for the transport committee on postal issues. Backs wide-ranging liberalisation, but Parliament cut back his demands.
- Christian Pierret: French industry minister, strong supporter of French operator La Poste which is against speedy liberalisation.
- Patricia Hewitt: UK secretary of state for trade and industry, responsible for the post dossier in London. Has pivotal role in Council of Ministers because of complex system of weighted votes - and because the UK is about to declare its position.
- Brian Simpson: British socialist group spokesman for post. Favours a 'gradual' liberalisation of EU postal markets to protect jobs.
Article forms part of a special report on postal liberalisation.