|Author (Person)||Dür, Andreas, Zimmermann, Hubert|
|Series Title||The European Union Series|
|ISBN||978-1-137-52951-0 (hbk) / 978-1-137-52950-3 (pbk)|
|Content Type||Textbook | Monograph|
Since its inception the European Union has been a fiercely contested and politically divisive project. In recent years, controversial issues such as EU enlargement, the ratification of the Lisbon Treaty, and the fallout from the Eurozone crisis have tested the EU to its limits and divided public opinion in the process.
This volume brings together leading scholars from around the world to debate the nature, current state and future of European integration. The contributors represent the whole spectrum of thinking about the European Union, ranging from pro-European to openly Eurosceptic perspectives. Within the book, chapters present two opposing perspectives on a wide range of controversies. Among the issues discussed are: how efficient is the European Union? Has the European project been a success? Will the Eurozone survive in its present state? And can the EU tame big finance? This text provides an overview of the most important issues in contemporary EU politics.
1. The European Union: Success or failure?
2. The political efficiency of the EU
3. More powers for Brussels or renationalization?
4. How democratic is the EU?
5. Too much power for the judges?
6. Can there be a common European identity?
7. Lobbying in the EU: How much power for big business?
8. The future of the euro: Union or disintegration?
9. The euro: Economic success or disaster?
10. Can the EU tame big finance?
11. The big waste? The common agricultural policy
12. Does the EU act as a normative power?
13. Is EU enlargement a success story or has it gone too far?
14. Towards a common European army?
15. A new German hegemony: Does it exist? Would it be dangerous?
16. Should it stay or should it go? Britain, EU membership and the merits of selective integration
|Subject Categories||Politics and International Relations|
|Subject Tags||EU Integration Theory|
|International Organisations||European Union [EU]|