|Author (Corporate)||European Parliament: European Parliamentary Research Service|
|Series Title||Briefing: Buildings of the European Parliament|
|Series Details||April 2017|
|Publication Date||April 2017|
|Content Type||Journal | Series | Blog|
The Eastman Building, which is situated right beside the European institutions in the heart of the Quartier Léopold is set to become the House of European History, opening its doors in 2017.
The choice and renovation of this former dental clinic will highlight the building's historical value to the cultural heritage of Brussels and Europe. The dental clinic was set up by George Eastman, the founder of Kodak. It was built in 1935 in Parc Léopold, a centre for science and recreation since the end of the nineteenth century. At various stages it has been a public clinic, a learning establishment and a retirement home.
The European Parliament leased the building in 1985 to accommodate its administrative services, a print shop and a crèche. Over the years, it has also been used by other EU bodies such as the European Ombudsman and the European Court of Auditors.
In 2009, the European Parliament decided that, after substantial renovation and extension, it should accommodate the House of European History. Its mission will be to present European history over the last two centuries through resolutely modern museography. Thus, the Eastman Building will continue to educate and reach out to the public.
Author: Philippe Perchoc and Étienne Deschamps
|Countries / Regions||Europe|