|Author (Corporate)||Western European Union: Assembly|
|Series Title||Letter from the Assembly|
|Series Details||No.2, May 1989, p2-5|
|Publication Date||May 1989|
The Assembly of WEU, which had its premises in Paris, was founded in 1954. As the first European interparliamentary assembly for security and defence matters, the Assembly was a forum for debate, initially for the Western European Union.
Following the transfer of WEU´s operational activities to the EU in 2000, it acted as the Interparliamentary European Security and Defence Assembly, focusing on the European Security and Defence Policy and the further development of the European Union´s civil and military crisis-management capabilities.
With the Lisbon Treaty coming into force in 2009 expanding the EU's role and accountability, the European Parliament called for the abolition of the WEU Assembly. In March 2010 it was decided to abolish the entire WEU structure as it duties were largely taken over by the EU. The 60th and final session of the WEU Assembly took place on 9 May 2011.
WEU ceased to exist as a Treaty-based International Organisation on 30 June 2011.
The main website of the Assembly of the WEU is no longer available. A legacy website for the WEU is maintained.
The Historical Archives of the European Union maintain a paper collection of WEU Assembly documents.
|Subject Categories||Security and Defence|
|Countries / Regions||Europe|